fruchtbarkeit

Friday, January 20, 2006

not natural?

4 weeks to go! But now I'm getting rather large and ponderous. My blood pressure has also started to go up some and my feet are swelling so this makes me nervous. But so far no one is really worried and one more ultrasound on Monday so we get to see the wee babe again!

I started reading an IVF mystery - ha! betcha didn't know there was such a thing. It's called In A Family Way and I'm afraid it's going to be awful. The victim is a young child and here's a taste (not of the little child but of the prose):

"It was a strange thing to see M. in this new light. Rationally, there was no reason to view her differently because she had been made, not begotten. She'd been no less of a human being. Yet I could not shake a certain uncanny sensation. She had not sprung from the long chain that linked us to our mammal forebears. Instead, she'd been whisked up in a glass by a man who called himself the "family doctor." It made her seem separate from nature, even though I knew the notion was false." it goes on and on....

It's from 2005! Do people really still think like this?

Mammal forebears? harumph. Any guesses as to the sex of the author?

I feel very much like a mammal - and my seins spectaculaires prove it!

4 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least the author is 'getting over themselves' to the benefit of the watching public. Christ.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely, utterly dreadful--so our kids aren't from "the long chain that linked us to our mammal forebears"? Because instead of being created from human genetic material, they're really half-human, half-(insert non-mammal of choice here)?

Good luck getting through the whole novel. I think after that paragraph alone, my copy would be in the fireplace!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, that is pretty unreal. Oddly enough, when I look at my daughter (conceived through IVF) I see a normal 4 year-old -- and a mammalian one at that. Sweet and beautiful, smart and funny, frustrating as only a 4 year-old can be. No difference between her and her more conventionally conceived siblings. I never even thought that people might perceive her differently because she spent the first few days of her embryo life in a lab instead of in my uterus.

I think you're right, I think this book is probably going to be awful. You'll have to keep us updated as you read it (unless you end up flinging it across the room in disgust, of course).

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger MC said...

Sounds like shite book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home