fruchtbarkeit

Sunday, January 08, 2006

redefining ready

I spent the day yesterday "shopping" with my pregnant friend, she of the even more dire infertility who is due 2 months after I am. I didn't buy anything and found the stores stultifying.

Forget it. The crass materialism just blew my mind. I'm not buying anything new I swear! Most of the stuff is just hideous anyhow - way too big and bulky. I told her I was ready to road-trip to Ikea (hee, hee, we have access to Canadian Ikea, cheap, cheap) and she said no she wanted to buy the best for her baby. But none of it is going to last more than 2 years! The nature of babies is to grow out of everything! Ikea stuff is at least light and colorful.

If I lived in a more cosmopolitan place perhaps I would enjoy looking at all the STUFF but frankly spending money for the sake of spending money has never rung my bell. (Says she who just laid out the cost of a crib for a month's supply of organic, grass-fed locally raised steaks and the very best olive oil).

A complete stranger has given me practically new car seat, bathtubs, swing, vibrating chairs, baby carrier, etc. Wow! But my friend doesn't want any of it. I'm a little sad because I thought we'd bond more about the whole baby thing but we are on very different wavelengths.

So at this point I'm just going to focus on the most vital needs - input and output. Nursing bras and diapers.

So more advice requested... are there any magical, wondrous, comfy, chic nursing tops out in the world? I'd wander around the house boobi*es adangling but I do have two teenage stepsons and it might just prove too much for them! I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to see my stepfather's equivalent when I was their age.

And thanks for the advice so far! The exciting part is not far away! I can't wait to see what our high-tech doctor's office drug-induced loving has produced.

4 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I just ordered 4 different nursing bras (different styles) from "Breakout Bras" online. Fairly decent prices, and free shipping. If I get one that fits out of those four, I'll return the others and buy more of the one that works.

And I am very, very grateful for all the second-hand and hand-me-down stuff we've gotten. I'm with you, why does this all have to be so expensive?

I've gotten some great deals on eBay (fancy mobile, play mat/gymini) for really great prices. Our crib was bought used. My hairdresser gave me a swing, bathtub, bouncy seat and a bunch of newborn clothes and receiving blankets she doesn't need anymore. And I am happy that I didn't have to buy all that stuff.

Here in Connecticut we have some places called "Once Upon a Child" -- a consignment store for children's clothes and baby gear. The stuff looks like it's in decent shape, though I haven't bought anything there yet.

Just a few ideas from this thrifty type...

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a swedish company called BOOB design (I know) that makes the best nursing tops ever. If you do a google search for them you will find it. They are a little slim fitting, but long enough to cover your belly and most importantly, when you are nursing, they keep your tummy covered. (a novel concept still for many makers of maternity tops) I love these things. Maybe order one to see if you like it first. But they were made from nice soft material and didn't make me feel like a total blimp. Not a typical nursing top.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was Target that had a nursing shaw thingy.. worked MUCH better then a blanket...That and I loved the sling.. hands free a lot more!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Reesh said...

I hate walking into any baby section of any store. It makes me sick. Baby gear is a huge money making industry and they make you feel like you "need" all these things, when I really don't think you do. We have managed just fine buying things second hand, because you are right, you're only going to use this stuff for a couple months and then it's time to get bigger stuff. Don't give into the hype, you will do just fine without it all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home