fruchtbarkeit

Monday, May 30, 2005

the crazy time

After transfer I was feeling quite optimistic. I think of the embryos more as little seeds settling into some nice fertile soil. My husband is very, very optimistic which is wonderful. The microscopic nature of all this is very odd. I walk around thinking about the extra cells in my body, but hey, I've got tons of cells of all sorts, many of whom I'm probably completely unaware of. But now I'm thinking about some little bitty cells and their growth. It's pretty cool but remains entirely abstract.

This morning I woke up feeling much less optimistic, basically because it's so mysterious and there is nothing to feel physically. Also because I had bad dreams about my job and I don't want them to get at my psyche.

The lesson I think I have learned so far is that all of this is not a personal failing. In Buddhism and yoga we work so hard on non-attachment and infertility (or a life-threatening illness) are crazy times to try out these life lessons. So many of the patients at the IF clinic look incredibly miserable and stressed out, no sense of humor when I proposed that we just sit on eachother's laps when there's a line at the blood draw station. We could do a little Shiva reenactment with arms going out both sides and blood. But no, they pretty much don't talk and don't laugh and often look white as sheets or really, really unhappy.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation and I will be very upset if this doesn't work out but somehow the craziness of this process and my job combined have pushed me beyond taking the universe personally. It is just not feasible that all of this insanity can be linked to my personal failings - and in a weird way if all of it can't then maybe none of it can.

I'm a very impatient person, the kind of person who drives you nuts fidgeting and wriggling when told to wait, (this is why I HAVE to do yoga or I would be truly nuts) so this time of waiting is very, very challenging and scary and strange.

But I do love thinking of little seeds slowly growing in the dark AND there are no raccoons in my womb!

p.s. I'm a blogging nincompoop - I don't know how to post my email or how to organize my archives by subject. Any hints?

6 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Thank goodness there are no raccoons in there! You crack me up!

I know how hard this part is, when you can't feel anything and you're wondering what's going on inside there. But IVF is a scientific miracle, and it can work even if you don't feel it happening. Just take care of yourself right now.

I agree about the total lack of humor surrounding IF treatments. Everyone is so stressed and miserable. The one exception was a woman who was in our injectibles class. She was a laff-riot and made all kinds of inappropriate jokes all through the class. It was quite a breath of fresh air although I think she scared my husband. Nothing was sacred to her, not even what the guys have to do in the little room... hee.

susie
notahabit

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Dramalish said...

I can be both the joker AND the miserable, pale patient at the clinic.

I'd welcome your humor with open arms, though- so keep it up.

It's certainly not going to make anyone feel MORE miserable. ;)

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger MC said...

I like the image of the little seeds growing in fertile soil.

 
At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On your blogging question- the bad news is there is no way to organise into archives into categories on Blogger. Well, there is a way, but it is very complicated and not easily accomplished. This is one of the reasons I moved to Typepad...

As far as posting your email, I think you can make it public in your Profile- go check your profile settings and see. There is also a way it make it public on your home page, but it involves going into the template. If you're really keen email me and I will see if I can help.

P.S. I've just noticed Kepu Junkera. I love Kepu Junkera!!!

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck... I am bracing myself for the wave of emotions the 2ww is... It's really refreshing to hear about your journey, will come back for more.

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I use Typepad specifically because I wanted categories. Blogger doesn't offer them.

Your seed analogy is perfect, My RE often describes my thin uterine lining as being similar to rocky, dry soil.

Good luck! I am hoping for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home