fruchtbarkeit

Thursday, June 02, 2005

blood juice

The very nice technician at the clinic recommended drinking a lot 1/2 hour before a blood draw so I got a bottle of that Brambleberry iced tea, that has a very rich purply blood color, and downed it before my blood test. Don't get excited. It was just an estrogen test and it was fine.

Two nice things though - when I got my blood just at some anonymous lab the technician said I deserved to have children so I could pass on my pretty hair. This was kind of a shocker for me since I have yet to dare think about what my children might actually look like - wow. But she seemed entirely confident that they would look like me and that would be a good thing. Do I dare visualize such things? After 3.5 years of hoping, I'm pretty cautious these days and working more on being resigned than optimistic. It's so scary.

Also at the blood draw lab were two new-born twins, I guess one doesn't need to say two. Anyhow they were there to get their blood drawn (eek) and they were each only about as long as my forearm. Teensy tiny little babes.

Pretty nifty stuff. This could all be very exciting if I had slightly more optimism. One more week to go until the next blood juice drinking and drawing session - the scary one!

In the NY Times this morning there is a very strange article about Christians "saving" embryos. The group calls themselves the Snowflakes and they're out to get your frozen embryos and save them by transferring them to good Christian women/families. I was a little sensitive to the NY Times misusing the word "implant" because frankly that's the part that seems to be uncontrollable and up to God, the universe, or karma. Here's hoping Cecily will give us a good rant on this one! I'm just so discouraged by the constant, constant battling over women's rights to reproduce - it's my damn body, it's my damn family, and they're MY choices.

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

I think I try not to think about what our children may look like because I'm worried that it would make the idea of adopting harder.

And that article about the Snowflakes - don't you just want to slap these people? Who ARE you to decide what someone else should do?

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger chris said...

I'm tired of it too. Snowflakes really creeps me out. A friend tried to use them and found out it would have cost less to use an egg donor than to "adopt" an embryo.

Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home